Friday, June 24, 2011

How about a Saree Walk?
a response to slut walks

I think we all have an idea what Slut Walk is, how it originated, yada yada yada. And India is going witness a similar march tomorrow in Delhi. There has been plenty of "jokes", remarks and idiotic commentary on this.


Truth be told, I never gave a significant thought about this. I can be quite the cynic when it comes to rallies and marches. I always wonder, are people going to experience a transformation in their thinking? The answer is NO. There are so many men and women who still think that "provocative" dressing is what leads to rape and any other form of sexual harassment. If they look at the statistics, they will know that most rape victims come from families belonging in a low-income group, they usually are very young girls, who don't look fantastic or sexually alluring in any way, who wear modest, simple and ordinary clothing which isn't even borderline sexy. Most rapists happen to be family members of the victim. Fathers rape daughters. You get the picture, right?

Let me give you a very unrelated example, a little psychology lesson. Me and my sister both spend most of her time in front of the computer. I do a number of things, blogging and designing, stuff my sister doesn't do. All she does is Facebook. My mother blames me for her computer addiction, saying that I instilled it (perks of being the elder sibling). It is not true at all because our activities are completely different. Even if I don't use the computer, she will. But my sister conveniently blames me, saying how much I use the computer and hence she should also get to use it.

In the same way, rapists give the excuse of "provocative" dressing as an excuse for their offences. As if no girl who wears a burka ever got raped, no nun got ogled at lecherously and wizened old women in a saree escaped from the disgusting stares. Yes, wizened old women get raped too. As if, whenever any sexy woman walkes by, certain helpless men suddenly receive akaashvaani notifications from God, saying, "Go son, ravish this woman till she repents for her carnal sin."

Anyway, all I gotta say here is, if dressing is the problem, why don't we do a Saree Walk? Everywhere in India, let's wear a saree and march and if we spot one guy ogling at us with lustful eyes, which I'm sure we'll find many, he has to get arrested then and there. Deal?
On a related note, I would also like to say what I think about the word slut. "Slut" was originally meant to refer to promiscuous man. So is "bimbo", which was used to refer to a good-looking but a stupid man. It's interesting how these terms eventually transitioned into nouns for females. I would like to know how that happened. Unfortunately, I didn't study this part in Literature. Anyway, what I feel is best summed up by Kendra Holliday of The Beautiful Kind in her e-book, The Book of Goddess. She is definitely one of the reasons for my opinion regarding the term "slut". So is Tracy Egan. Anyone who is familiar with Jezebel since it's inception will be familiar with her. She ran the awesome One D at a Time.

Also, watch Mean Girls. Just for fun. It's not pro-slut or anything.

No comments: